top of page


At Skill NZ, our goal is to make your time spent learning in New Zealand unforgettable. We are committed to providing you world-class training in small classes taught by qualified and experienced tutors. The information below is designed to help you understand our policies and responsibilities, as well as useful links and information to support you in your preparation and after your arrival in NZ.


Whether you’re looking for a part-time job while you study, a full-time job after you graduate, or a practicum placement, Skill NZ is here to help. We’ll get you work-ready, prepare you for your interview, and introduce you to our employer partners. We are here to support you every step of the way. 


If you have a Student Visa, you may be able to work part-time up to 20 hours per week and full-time during scheduled holidays. Check your visa – it will show if/when you can work while you are studying in New Zealand. For more information visit the Immigration New Zealand website for more information.

It is a requirement for all people who want to work to register with Inland Revenue Department and obtain an IRD Number.

For information on minimum wages and working conditions in New Zealand visit the Employment New Zealand website.



Skill NZ has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education.Translations are available in Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Thai, Japanese, Korean, Indonesian, Russian and Spanish. Visit the Immigration New Zealand website for more information.   


Please visit the Immigration New Zealand website or a licensed Immigration Advisor for immigration questions or issues. The student visa page gives specific visa information. There are tips and tools for ensuring that travel to New Zealand is hassle-free.





Eligibility for Health Services

International students are not entitled to publicly funded health services provided by the NZ Government. You are required as a condition of your visa to have a comprehensive medical and travel insurance policy which must also be approved by the college.

Accident Insurance

Accident Insurance is provided by the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors in New Zealand, but you may still be responsible for all other medical and related costs. 

Medical and Travel Insurance 

While studying in New Zealand, international students must have appropriate medical and travel insurance which is up to date.

International students must provide evidence of their insurance and medical cover to Skill NZ. If you are purchasing a policy in your home country we must be provided with a version translated into English so that it can be assessed and approved. Skill NZ will advise you if the insurance cover is insufficient.

The policy should cover you for the following:

  • Your travel to and from New Zealand

  • The costs of medical treatment in New Zealand for the duration of your stay

  • Your personal assets


International students’ insurance obligations depend on the type of visa the student holds while enrolled with an education provider.

  • For student visa holders, holding appropriate insurance is a condition of their visa. Student visa applicants must declare that they will make the necessary arrangements to hold insurance which complies with the Code of Practice and that is considered acceptable by their education provider, from the period of their enrolment until the expiry of their student visa.

  • The Student Visa Guide (INZ 1013) explains that INZ recognises that students often arrange insurance through their education provider once they have arrived in New Zealand and the enrolment process has been completed. Therefore, a student is required to hold insurance from the date the enrolment process is finalised with an education provider.




Trust Account

When you receive a letter of offer from Skill NZ, you will also receive an invoice for your tuition and course related fees. A receipt will be issued once the payment is completed, which you can then use for your student visa application. Please note that the money received from you will be deposited into a trust account until course commencement, which is a requirement of the Education Act 2020. 

If you do not meet your visa requirements, all course fees will be refunded back to you. However, this does not apply to visa application fees, application/administration fees, or accommodation application fees if your accommodation has been booked in advance. 


In the event of Skill NZ going into liquidation or if it ceases to be a provider or a signatory to the Code of Practice, the Public Trust will hold the unused portion of the course for which the student has paid. 





If you wish to withdraw after being confirmed on your programme, you must put this in writing and hand it in to the office or send it by post.

The following will be refunded to the student's (or student's parent/legal guardian) bank account where the funds initially came from. 

If you withdraw before the course commences

Tuition or course fees paid will be refunded in full, less 10% of the course fees, provided you notify Skill NZ of your withdrawal before the commencement of the programme. 

If you withdraw from the course within the first ten days of the course

If you formally withdraw from the course within the first ten days, you will receive a full refund of all course fees paid by you less 10% of the course fees. 

If you withdraw after ten days from the start of the course

No refunds are applicable and full course fees will be retained by Skill NZ after the first ten days of the course. 

Other Useful Links:


The FTS is a secure way for students from some countries to transfer funds to support themselves in New Zealand.

You need NZ $20,000 to pay your living costs for each year of study. This is the minimum amount you need to transfer to your Funds Transfer Scheme (FTS) account.  Living costs do not include your course or tuition fees.


The FTS is only available to students from:


  • India

  • Philippines

  • Sri Lanka

Meeting the criteria : Fee Paying Student Visa | Immigration New Zealand

bottom of page